Volunteers are an integral part of the Agape Hospice Care team, specially equipped to be there for patients and families we serve.
Agape Volunteer Services: Many Hands, One Heart
Agape volunteers support our patients and families in many ways, including:
Animal Assisted Activity Visits not only help to alleviate stress, but they provide a special affection, joy and connection to patients and families.
Veterans Serving Veterans Agape volunteers who are vets connect with other vets in our care, providing a special understanding and friendship.
Practical Help & Companionship These individuals visit families on a regular basis, providing supportive presence, active help and companionship, including (but not limited to):
- Life review, reading, letter-writing, games, or walks
- Short-term respite care, to temporarily relieve caregiver(s)
- Help with shopping, meal prep, light housekeeping.
Specialized Music Professional musicians—or simply recorded music—in varying styles and instruments to soothe the soul and communicate beyond words.
11th Hour Steward This uniquely gifted and qualified person provides support to patients who are actively transitioning to death—and a comforting presence to their families.
Complementary Therapies These professional licensed specialists help relieve pain, pressure, and physical stress, adding comfort to a patient’s (and family’s) days. Services include:
- Massage Therapy, applying pressure to soft tissues to relax them.
- Comfort Touch, a nurturing style of acupressure that gives special consideration to the physical and emotional needs of a person who is elderly and/or ill.
- Acupuncture, the art of inserting fine needles at specific points along the body’s meridians to stimulate dispense and regulate the flow of “chi.” Can decrease pain and promote relaxation.
- Reiki (ray-key), a type of hands-on healing technique developed in Japan. Not affiliated with any specific religious belief, Reiki can decrease stress, pain, and anxiety.
All Agape volunteers are highly trained and screened in the same manner as Agape employees.