Hospice is not a place, but a philosophy of care. At its center is the belief that every person has the right to live the last phase of life free of pain and distress on his or her own terms.
Call us 24/7 with questions or referrals: 720-482-1988.
Supporting Patients and Their Families
Hospice care is for people with a presumed prognosis of six months or fewer to live whose disease process is no longer responding to curative treatment. It focuses on the whole person (and the whole family), providing a model of total physcial, emotional, spiritual and practical support.
A team of specialists, dedicated to you
The Agape hospice team is made up of physicians board certified and trained in hospice and palliative medicine, nurse practitioners, registered nurses (RNs), certified nursing assistants (CNAs), social workers, chaplains, volunteers and bereavement counselors.
Hospice care begins with a question: "What's important to you?"
The Agape team gathers information from the initial family / caregiver meeting and the patient's providers and creates a plan of care specific to each individual.
Pain & Symptom Management
At Agape, our specially trained medical team takes a person’s pain and symptoms very seriously. Our physicians and nurses are expert at knowing how to address pain, discomfort and distressing conditions (such as anxiety, sleeplessness, depression, nausea, gastric distress) so patients can feel better as quickly as possible.
Emotional, Spiritual & Practical Support
People nearing the end of life often experience emotional and spiritual distress. Some find it difficult to reach out to the people in their lives. Family may feel the same, not knowing how to communicate or move forward. Agape social workers, chaplains and volunteers may support patients and families through counseling, practical help and spiritual support.
How do I get started?
People are often hesitant to access hospice care because it represents a shift from one approach to another: from treatment with the intent to cure to intervention focused on comfort and quality of life. Yet what we hear most from our patients and families is they wish they'd found us sooner.
Our goal is helping patients feel better so they can live better each day, and supporting family through the journey.
Request a Free Consultation
Common Questions about Hospice Care
Who can benefit from hospice care?
Hospice care is for anyone, of any age, with a life-limiting illness (such as heart disease, kidney disease, dementia, lung disease and other chronic conditions).
Where is care provided?
Care is provided wherever a patient calls home: a personal residence, in-patient facility, assisted living or skilled nursing home. Agape’s services are provided in addition to the standard care received in a skilled nursing facility. The hospice team ensures that all care is part of an integrated plan that meets a patient’s specific needs. In addition to the quality care at such facilities, our staff adds specialty expertise in symptom management and comfort care.
Who pays for hospice care?
Hospice is an earned benefit paid for by Medicare/Medicaid. In 2013, 87% of hospice care was paid for by these entities. Private insurance picks up most of the remaining 13%. Please keep in mind: Agape believes every person has the right to compassionate, expert care and support at the end of life and refuses no hospice patient based on inability to pay. If you have questions or concerns, please call us at 720-482-1988. We can help you apply for and receive hospice benefits.
What can I expect from hospice care?
The first step is a meeting between the patient, family and the Agape admissions nurse and social worker. The admissions team takes time to ask questions, provide information and listen. They help families understand the hospice benefit and complete paperwork. Agape will also get in touch with the patient’s physician to establish communication and request any needed paperwork or information.
"My sincere thanks for the loving attention and care you gave my mother these last months of her life. I believe her quality of life improved when you began helping her on this journey. You all are an amazing group of people."